5 Things You Need to Know Today: Dec. 19
Each weekday, we will give you a brief rundown of need-to-know information and events for the day in St. Petersburg.
1. This morning, team captains, mascots and cheerleaders from FIU and Marshall will be giving gifts to sick children at All Children's Hospital. The two teams are playing in the 2011 Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl St. Petersburg on Tuesday night at Tropicana Field.
2. For college football fans of FIU and Marshall, there will be a battle of the bands Monday afternoon on St. Pete Beach at the TradeWinds Resort. The event is free and open to the public. Starting at 5 p.m., there will be a Bowl Block Party at Ferg's.
3. Mingle with your neighbors from the Old Northeast at the annual Old Northeast Neighborhood Association Holiday Party tonight from 6:30 - p.m. at the Old Northeast Tavern. The $5 admission charge covers pizza, salad and dessert; there will be a cash bar for drinks. Donations of new, unwrapped toys or books are welcome. The neighborhood association is collecting items for local charities.
4. The Studio@620 presents a radio play performed live tonight -- complete with sound effects -- and recorded to be broadcast at a later date on WMNF (88.5 FM). Tonight, enjoy the holiday favorite, "It's a Wonderful Life," from the Lux Radio Theatre archives and directed by Rich Rice. Show begins at 7 p.m.
5. Tonight is the St. Petersburg Opera's "Seasonal Sparkle" concert at 7:30 p.m. at the Palladium Theatre. The Opera Company presents seasonal favorites such as "O Holy Night," "Ave Maria," and the "Hallelujah" chorus with a semi-staged performance of highlights from Acts I and II of "La Boheme."