A vehicle parked on a residential street was stolen from the Old Northeast neighborhood this week.
That is the crime alert issued from the Historic Old Northeast Neighborhood Association in north St. Petersburg.
The vehicle owner had left the car doors unlocked and the keys inside. Many homeowners park their vehicles in front of their homes, with stolen cars an unusual event in the quiet neighborhood.
The neighborhood group is warning that thieves have been scouring the neighborhood each night or in the early morning hours checking for unlocked vehicles, in order to remove cash, personal items or anything of value they might find inside.
Here are tips from the neighborhood association for keeping your property safe:
- PARK your car, if possible, in a lit area.
- REMOVE valuables from you car. Even coins, let alone computers, cell phones, and other valued items that a thief may find purposeful to take.
- LOCK your car doors. Every door.
- TAKE your car keys with you inside the residence. One added benefit is that you may want to use the button on the key fob to sound the alarm if you hear someone outside trying to break into your vehicle.
- REPORT suspicious persons that don’t belong in the neighborhood and seem to be observing vehicles or residences for theft. Call 727.893.7780
If we all safeguard our property, the criminals will move on to another neighborhood.