Fundraisers, Memorial Planned for 'Woo'
Bill "Woo" Correira died Monday, and now the community is hoping to raise money to help the Correira family pay for the funeral.
Artist Bill "Woo" Correira is being remembered as a generous man who put others before himself.
Woo died Monday night inside his art gallery on Central Avenue, after battling brain cancer for five years.
Now Correira's family, friends and fellow artists hope the community will lend a hand to defray the costs for his funeral.
On the Bill "Woo" Correira Memorial Facebook Page, Keep St. Petersburg Local posted various events to honor Woo and help fund raise for the funeral.
If you want to donate directly, you can do so online.
Woo's service will be on Saturday at the First Baptist Church on Gandy Blvd. No time has been set at this time.
Bill "Woo" Correira Events (Information from Keep St. Petersburg Local)
- There will be an artists gathering at the sake bomb tonight.
- On Friday, 400 Beach Seafood and Tap House, at which Woo painted on Fridays, is inviting everyone to join them from 5-7 p.m.
On their Facebook page, Steve & Nancy Westphal said:
"Please come together as we mourn the loss of our friend BC. Most every Friday evening Woo would be on the sidewalk of The 400 Beach Seafood House painting his incredible art and sharing the spirit that made him so special to us all. Nothing will ever replace him and we know many are grieving this shocking loss.
This is an invite to join us at the 400 Beach Seafood House on the corner of 5th and Beach Drive between 5 and 7pm this Friday, Nov. 30. We will put out some bar bites, set up the PA system and let folks share some stories about this man that touched all of our hearts. We can't mourn this on our own and this is one step in a journey of many. He was way too great and inspirational to let pass quietly and we hope that everyone can join in this tribute to this wonderful human being.
We love you Woo. Steve & Nancy Westphal"
- On Saturday, the St. Pete Indie Market will become the Woo Market. It will be a fundraiser for Woo's family and celebrate Woo's life with his favorite bands and fellow artists. There will be 20-plus vendors, fundraising tables and bands
- Saturday, Derek Donelly from "SAINT PAINT" Arts and Apparel hopes to unveil the mural he has been painting of Woo.
- On Dec. 13, NOVA 535, will make its annual "Naughty Noel" party a fundraiser for the Correira family