House Fire Ignited by Kitchen Stove
A man fell asleep with two burners on the stove, fire officials say.
St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue responded to a house fire at 4056 18th Ave S. just after 5 a.m. Sunday morning. Officials say the 41-year-old occupant ran out through a side door and was transported to Bayfront Medical Center for smoke inhalation. He is in stable condition.
Authorities say the man started cooking but then fell asleep with two burners on the stove. Officials say the fire was accidental and completely destroyed the home.
The 2,919-square-foot home was valued at just under $35,000.
There were no smoke alarms in the house. Officials say the man woke up to smoke "choking him."
St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue is reminding residents that smoke alarms are free. People should call (727) 893-SAFE for more information.
Sign up for the St. Pete Patch email newsletter to get our top headlines delivered straight to your inbox so you won't miss a thing!