St. Petersburg House Gutted in Early Morning Fire; Owner Escapes Without Injury
The house did not have a smoke alarm.
A fire that started in an electrical outlet gutted a northeast St. Pete home early Monday, Dec. 13, St. Petersburg fire officials said.
Morris Flowers, 59, told firefighters that he was asleep when the fire broke out in a front room. He said that the smell of smoke and popping sounds from the fire awoke him. Flowers fled the home, and was not injured.
Flames could be seen in the front windows of the single-family home, which is located at 2710 1st Ave. N. Firefighters had the blaze under control within 15 minutes, after responding to a call at 5:51 a.m.
The fire department reported that the home did not have smoke alarms.
Flowers, who is the homeowner, has found temporary shelter through the American Red Cross.
Acting District Chief Tim White, directed fire crews as they fought the fire and searched the structure.
Fire officials are advising residents to have working smoke alarms and to check the batteries every six months.
SPFR will provide and install one free of charge for people who cannot afford them. St. Petersburg residents can call 727 893 SAFE for more information on smoke alarm and other fire safety programs.