The parking lot is torn up and patrons must park in a satellite spot, but little will deter devoted shoppers from making their pilgrimage to Rollin' Oats Market & Cafe on MLK Boulveard.
That is a reason why a major expansion made sense to owners Bert Swain and Larry Schwartz. Demand is robust for the organic produce, packaged whole foods and freshly prepared deli items, from soups to sandwiches to smoothies.
Pre-construction work is under way at Rollin' Oats, at 2842 MLK St., which will double the size of its grocery store and triple the size of the existing building. St. Petersburg Yoga plans to move into 7,000 square feet of space in a second story addition that will include a rooftop garden for outdoor classes as well. (See details at end of post.)
"Both business owners exemplify the definition of 'Local,' having served the area for more than two decades each," according to a press release from Rollin' Oats Market and Cafe.
Rollin’ Oats provided details of the additions and changes:
- The produce section will grow, with more selections of USDA certified organic fruits and vegetables.
- Added will be a meat counter offering organic grass-fed beef, natural pork and free-range chicken as well as fresh frozen seafood.
- Parking is increasing 55 percent.
- In addition to the indoor cafe, there will be an outdoor dining area.
- Selection of wine and beer will expand.
- There will be more products in the area of health and wellness.
- Bulk items will expand into an aisle with bulk coffee, spices, new nut butter machines and additional prepackaged bulk items.
St. Petersburg Yoga will expand to more than 7,000 square feet, offering:
- 7 studio spaces, including an open air rooftop/garden for a wide variety of classes and seminars.
- Weekly wellness workshops ranging from nutrition, philosophy, body/mind therapies to spirituality.
- 15 Yogi teaching classes, including Beginners, Therapeutic, Meditation, Power, Hot and Kids Yoga.
- Yogi Teacher Training and Certification School as well as CEUs.
Sign up for the St. Pete Patch email newsletter to get our top headlines delivered straight to your inbox so you won't miss a thing!