The parade of 1,000 well-behaved guide dogs and their humans participating in a walkathon Saturday will be sufficiently impressive.
But the Southeastern Guide Dogs St. Petersburg Walkathon will offer so much more to visitors starting at 8:30 a.m.
The event starts out from Vinoy Park, where there will be plenty of pet-friendly kiosks, offering pet photos, pet massages, pet treats. You get it. If you go, make sure to bring Fido (on a leash, of course). There will be plenty of entertainment for two-legged companions, too, including a bounce house.
If you decide to go, please be aware of the street closings downtown for the walkathon. Here's what you need to know:
- Bayshore Dr. will be closed to through traffic.
- Through traffic will be permitted in the eastbound lane of Second Ave. NE from Beach Dr; in the southbound lane of Beach Dr. from Fifth Ave. NE; and in the westbound lane of Fifth Ave. NE from Bayshore Dr.
- The Pier will be open and accessible.
Temporary parking restrictions will be in place along Bayshore Dr, Beach Dr,
and and Fifth Ave. NE from 6 a.m. until 11 a.m. Saturday. No
Parking signs will be posted and meters bagged in affected areas.
There will be a free shuttle ride to and from festival grounds. Shuttles run from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. with stops every 10 to 15 minutes. Red, open-air trolleys will run from three locations:
- Near Al Lang Stadium/South Core parking garage on the east side of First St, just south of First Ave. S;
- At the BayWalk parking garage on the east side of First St., just south of First Ave. N. near the Hampton Inn;
- Vinoy Park on the north side of Seventh Ave. NE, just west of Bayshore Dr.
Sign up for the St. Pete Patch email newsletter to get our top headlines delivered straight to your inbox so you won't miss a thing!