It’s summer. It’s hot, and it’s watermelon season.
Here’s one of my favorite uses for watermelon. It will cool off your family at a backyard picnic, but it’s also an impressive dessert for a summer dinner party when served in a tall martini glass with a sprig of mint on top. Try it and I’m sure it will become one of your favorite summer recipes.
Just what is granita? It’s the refreshingly delicious icy Italian fruit dessert that has many variations. This rough version is called granita; make it just a bit smoother and it’s an Italian Ice; make it silky smooth and it becomes a sorbet.
Granita is rough and full of texture and one of the easiest desserts you can make. With just three ingredients — watermelon, sugar and lime — you'll have this refreshing dish to serve to your family and guests with very little effort.
Watermelon Citrus Granita
- 5 cups seedless watermelon, chopped
- 1 cup sugar (you can cut down on this amount or leave it out
entirely if you have very sweet melon)
- Juice of 1 lime (you can use any citrus you like)
- Place everything into your food processor or blender and
puree. It will be quite liquid.
- Pour liquid into a shallow baking dish.
- Freeze for two hours, then scrape with a fork and freeze
for another hour. Scrape again and serve.
Chef’s Tip: Try this recipe using your favorite fruits. Two other
favorites of mine are lemon granita and mango granite. Get adventurous!