Red tide has made its way to Pinellas County and there are few things to know about it. The Mote Marine Laboratory has offered these helpful tips about red tide.
- Red tide is caused by a harmful algae bloom called Karenia brevis.
- Red tide contains neurotoxins that can kill fish and cause respritory infections in humans.
- People with chronic respriration issues, like asthma, are more likely to be affected by red tide.
- Red tide toxins will be fewer when the winds are offshore
- While swimming is safe, it may cause skin irritation for some people.
- To check the red tide updates, visit mote.org/beaches for the latest beach conditions.