Canterbury is an independent prep school that encourages diversity, and welcomes students of all religions, races and creeds. The school educates children from age 3 through high school, on two campuses.
The Knowlton Campus is home to grades 5-12. The campus has the Cousteau Center for Marine Studies, 420-seat performing arts theater, athletic complex with three fields, Media Center. The school emphasizes academic rigor, character education and community service in developing and nurturing the "whole child."
Canterbury offers 24 AP courses; foreign language study that includes Mandarin Chinese (preK-Grade 12), Spanish, Latin and French; performing and visual arts. Canterbury is the only school internationally to partner with the Cousetau Divers Program to study and undertake research of the oceans.
Canterbury's Hough Campus is where the Lower School is located, educating students from age three through 4th grade.
- Fax: 727-525-2545
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Founding Date: 1968
- Number of students: 425
- Public/Private: Private
- Financial aid: Yes
- Religious affiliation: Episcopalian
- Graduation rate (%): 100
- Accreditation/licenses: National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS). Accrediting bodies for NAIS are the Florida Council of Independent Schools and the Florida Kindergarten Council.
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 9:1
- Parking: Free lot
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Canterbury has open houses and visits for families interested in learning more about the school. Parents are invited to make an appointment with Admissions Office. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
- What makes this community special?: Canterbury emphasizes academic rigor as well as character education, nurturing the "whole student" and preparing students to be citizens of the world.
- Grade levels: Grades 5-12
- Uniforms: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Athletics, Theater, Marine Studies, Honor Societies (National, Junior National, French, Latin, Spanish, Alpha Mu Theta), Student Council and more
- Sports teams: Swimming, golf, soccer, tennis, football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, cross country. Full listing found here: www.canterbury-fl.org/teams
- Boarding: No
- Advanced placement courses: Canterbury offers 24 AP courses. We have an open enrollment policy for AP courses. Any student may take an AP course AND the AP test. We believe that all students can benefit from the college preparatory skills required for AP courses.
- Student clubs: See list, above.