One of the highlights of a stroll along Beach Dr. is a visit to Paciugo, (pronounced "pah-CHOO-go"). A favorite stop for Italian tourists visiting the city, the gelateria serves handcrafted frozen desserts by the cup, cone, in shakes and blended with Italian espresso.
The gelato is as close to authentic as you can get without a visit to Turin, Italy, where Pachiugo's founders apprenticed with gelato makers.
The rich, dense ice cream is handmade at the St. Pete shop and includes such delectable flavors as Chocolate Cherry Swirl, made with imported candied fruit and dark chocolate, and the unusual Black Pepper Olive Oil, simultaneously sweet and spicy.
Paciugo opens early, selling cappuccino, lattes and other espresso drinks. Go ahead and splurge: Ask for a dollop of gelato in your coffee.
- Hours: Sun - Thu, 7am - 10pm; Fri - Sat, 7am - 11pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Debit Card, Discover, MasterCard, Store Credit Card, Visa
- Products: Italian Gelato made on premises; espresso drinks and shakes; frappes; frizzantes
- Food & dining options: Natural, Organic, Sugar-free
- General services: Catering, Eat-in, Phone orders, Take-out
- Menu link: www.paciugo.com/html/products/flavors.php
- Specialties: Gelato Shakes; Sparkling Gelato Shakes; Espresso Shakes; Gelato Sundaes; Gelato, by the cone or cup; Italian-brewed coffee; espresso
- ATM: No
- Parking: On-street: metered
- Private events: No
- What makes this community special?: With its fresh gourmet ingredients, Paciugo draws customers from throughout the Tampa Bay region. The little downtown gelateria is an economic engine for downtown.
- Frozen yogurt: No
- Number of ice cream flavors: 32
- If this community were a flavor, what would it be?: Definitely Sea Salt Caramel. With views of Tampa Bay, downtown St. Pete has the warmth and sweetness of a small town but shops and restaurants that appeal to sophisticated tastes.
- Wi-Fi: Free
- Newspapers, magazines: Yes
- Top 10 menu items, or signature dishes: 1.) Amarena Black Cherry Swirl; 2.) Biscotti; 3.) Amaretto Chocolate Chip; 4.) Rose; 5.) Chocolate Coconut; 6.) Coffee Sea Salt Caramel; 7.) Dulce de Leche; 8.) Mango; 9.) Lemon; 10.) Sugar-Free Chocolate