Watching the recent political conventions I was impressed by the number of women tagged as rising stars in the national parties.
You still hear a lot about the glass ceiling, but women are making significant headway from entrepreneurial ownership, to the boardrooms of large corporations and in government.
Here are some statistics from SPARXOO on women in business:
- In 2005, there were 7 CEO’s in Fortune 500. As of May 2011, there were 12 CEO’s in Fortune 500 companies.
- The number of women-owned companies with 100 or more employees has increased at nearly twice the growth rate of all other companies.
- Female-owned family businesses are 1.7 times more productive than male-owned family firms.
- One in five firms with revenue of $1 million or more is woman-owned.
Here are some stats from The WCF Foundation on Women in Government:
- Women hold only 17% of the seats in Congress. (Source)
- Only 22% of all statewide elective executive office positions are currently held by women. (Source)
- State Legislatures are only 24% women. (Source)
- Only 6 out of 50 states have a female governor. (Source)
Today women are earning 57% of all bachelor's degrees and 60% of all Master's degrees according to Science Daily.
But we still have that equal pay for equal work thing to get straight.
Less than one half US couples over 18 are married and the overall number of married couples has dropped over 20% since 1960 according to the Huffington Post.
So women are marrying less, becoming better educated, owning more successful businesses than men and are rapidly moving up in politics.
In other words - taking over.
Like most males, I would like to think all of this is the result of the magnanimous nature of our male inner selves supporting equal opportunity, but it appears over the last half century we have become the more useless half of the species.
In the past, our physical acumen was sufficient to make us stronger sex, truth be known we were probably always a little short on brain power. Fact is today women can hire all the muscle they need for a very reasonable price and short our current value in the reproductive cycle we don't really serve much of a unique purpose.
Our insane focus on all things sports, lack of loyalty, disdain for monogamy, penchant for letting some else do the work and growing vanity really make us vulnerable and a bit compromised in today's world.
If you doubt that, get someone to take a couple of candid shots of you and your buddies sitting in your man cave guzzling beer and screaming at a 90 inch TV. It is especially illuminating if you are all over 40.
Oh sure there are a few "good guys" out there, but ask any women, they are few and far between.
Why are the women taking over? Don't kid yourself, it's not because we are letting them. Don't get me wrong we need them, but as a general rule women are taking over because men have abdicated their leadership role from the church, to the family to the work place.
Maybe it's time to seal up the man cave, go back into the living room and the workplace and act like well---a man.
♀ ♂ e-mail doc at: email@example.com or send me a Facebook Friend Request